As the name suggests, no-knead pizza dough requires no kneading. That is right! You put the ingredients into a bowl and then you stir them together. Cover and put in the fridge overnight or all day on the counter for 4-5 hours depending on how warm it is in the kitchen.
The length of time the dough spends fermenting (rising/proofing) means it tastes great and is super easy to digest. Even people who are sensitive to wheat can eat this pizza dough. Yes, they can!
Recipe for simple and delicious no knead pizza dough
- 500 g Strong white bread flour Or spelt or a mixture if you like
- 2.5 g Instant yeast Or 5 g dry yeast or 10 g fresh yeast
- 10 g Salt
- 350 g Water From the cold tap is fine
- If you are using instant or fresh yeast, put all the ingredients into a big bowl. Stir them well to make sure there are no lumps of flour and that the yeast and the salt are well mixed in. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge over night or all day OR put on the counter for 4-5 hours. The dough is ready when it has significantly increased in size and has large blisters on it.
- If you are using dry yeast, measure the flour into a big bowl and make a well in it. Measure in the yeast and pour the water on top. Leave it for 15 minutes until the yeast is fully dissolved. Mix it up, add the salt and then stir it well so that there are no lumps of flour and that the yeast and the salt are well mixed in. Cover with cling film and put in the fridge over night or all day OR put on the counter for 4-5 hours. The dough is ready when it has significantly increased in size and has blisters on it.
- Heat the oven to as high as it will go.
- Prepare a large baking tray (the one we use is the roasting pan for a standard 500 cm oven so about 450 x 250 mm):– if you KNOW it is non stick simply pour in about 6 tablespoons full of olive oil– if you are not sure it is non stick, line the tray with non stick baking parchment and then pour over the oil
- Scrape the dough into the pan and with oily hands, get under the dough and stretch it out so that it covers the whole pan. Try not to make holes in the dough. If you do, pinch to dough to seal them up. The dough really will fill the pan so be patient, stretching and gently pressing, getting the dough as even as possible. Let it sit while you get the toppings together.
- Top the dough with a thin (THIN) coat of the sauce of your choice and scatter the toppings on top. At the global head quarters of Virtuous Bread, we believe pizza is about the bread, not about the toppings so we are mean with the toppings in order to enjoy the bread.
- Pop the dough in the hot oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes until the toppings are nice and bubbly and the edges of the dough are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, remove from the tray and let cool somewhat before you cut into the crispy delicious pizza on it’s no knead crust.