Made by Rosie Clark, this was one of three Leicestershire Loaves that won her the Leicestershire Cook Off
Leicestershire Silton Soda Bread
Made by Rosie Clark, this was one of three Leicestershire Loaves that won her the Leicestershire Cook-Off
- 275 g White or whole meal bread flour
- 250 g Buttermilk Whole fat sour milk or a mixture of whole fat yoghurt and milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 50 g Stilton cheese
- Preheat the oven to 230 celcius.
- Pop all the ingredients in a big bowl and stir the, by hand, to ensure they are all mixed well. Turn it out on the counter and give it a little, gentle knead – not too rough – and, with very wet hands, scoop it out and form it into a ball. Place the ball on a baking tray that is lined with baking parchment and pat it down into a disc about 5 cm high. With a wet knife, cut an X into the loaf, going 2/3 of the way to the bottom.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 230 and then reduce the temperature to 200. Bake for a further 15 minutes at 200.