This is a delicious salsa that accompanies almost everything. Habaneros are HOT and they have a unique, fruity flavour. You can add this salsa to a rather unexciting soup – adding more plants and more flavour.
Plant Count – 4
- 4 Medium tomatoes
- 1/2 Medium onion sliced into 4 pieces
- 1 Small bunch coriander
- 3-4 Habanero chiles
- Salt, as needed
Dry roast the vegetables
- Place the tomatoes, chiles, and onion in a hot, dry frying plan. Using tongs, flip everything over from time to time. As everything turns dark brown all over, remove it and place it on a plate. This can take 10 minutes.
Clean the chiles
- Slice the tops off the chiles and cut them in half. Remove the seeds and throw them away. Wash your hands immediately afterward.
- Put the tomatoes in a blender and pulse until they are liquid. Add the onions and the coriander and blend well. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Add one chile. Blend and taste. If it's not hot enough, add another and blend and taste again. Do this until you have reached your limit or until you have used all four chiles.
- Use immediately or measure the salsa into jars. It will be fine in the fridge for about three days. You can also freeze it.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!