This delicious condiment comes from North Africa. Its tangy flavour is a great pairing for any rich food.
- 1 bunch Coriander
- 1 bunch Parsley
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Lemon juice about the juice of one large lemon
- 1/2 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch saffron threads, crushed with the back of a spoon
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt, to taste
- Put all the ingredients except the olive oil into the food processor. Pulse it several times,removing the lid and pushing the ingredients down the sides of the processor with a spoon. You want the ingredients completely pulverized.
- Run the machine and dribble the ½ cup of the olive oil in slowly, drop by drop at first. The ingredients will come together into a thick sauce. Taste it and firstly adjust for salt. Taste it again and see if it’s too sour for you. If so, put the lid back on the machine and run it again, slowly pouring in the last ¼ cup of olive oil. Taste it again and adjust for salt again. It should be quite lemony – the acid cuts through the rich food with which you can pair it.
- The quantity is enough to fill one jam jar and it will keep for a week in the fridge.
- Delicious as a dip or as a condiment for a main dish. You can also add more oil or some butter milk and turn it into a salad dressing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!