Barley makes a great change from rice in this flavourful dish
You have all heard of bowls, right? Well, in a node to poke bowls, this dish uses barley instead of rice. Barley is really good for you and it has a chewy texture and a nutty flavour. It's yummy – try it!
Plant Count – 13
- 200 g Barley pearl or pot
- 750 g Water
- 200 g Sushi grade salmon You can also use firm tofu, or a different fish. Which ever you choose, slice it into thin slices.
- 1/2 Cucumber Cut into quarters length-wise and then roughly chopped
- 3 Spring onions Green tops only, chopped finely
- 8 Radishes Sliced very thinly
- 100 g Edamame beans out of their pods Cooked according to the package instructions
- 1 Carrot Grated
- 1 clove Garlic Squashed
- 1 piece Ginger 2 cm square, peeled and grated
- 2 Tbs Sesame oil
- 2 Tbs Soy sauce
- 2 Tbs Rice vinegar
- 3 sprigs Coriander Stems removed, roughly chopped
- 1 handful Sesame seeds Dry roasted
- Few drops Chile oil
Cook the barley
- Measure the barley in a large saucepan and pour in the water. Make sure there is a lot of space. Barley cooks for some time and needs space to bubble or your stove will get very mucky.
- Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a low simmer. For pearl barley, simmer for 30 minutes. For pot barley, simmer for 45. The barley should be chewy but not tough and it should have absorbed all the water when it is done. If there is a little water left over, drain it out through a sieve.
- Rinse it with cold water to cool it down.
Marinate the fish (or tofu)
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of the rice vinegar in a bowl. Add the garlic and the ginger and give it a stir. Add the fish or tofu. Mix it up gently, cover it, and return it to the fridge while the barley cooks.
Make the dressing
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, 1tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon rice vinegar in a bowl and whisk them together. Set aside until you are ready to dress your salad.
Prepare the vegetables
- Chop up all the vegetables and put them in separate bowls.
Assemble the salad
- Divide the barley between four bowls and top the bowls with separate, little mounds of all the vegetables except the coriander.
- Place a little stack of fish or tofu slices into each of the bowls.
- Drizzle the dressing over the ingredients in each bowl.
- Sprinkle with the chopped coriander.
- Offer the chile oil as an optional extra for people who like a little bit of spice.
- Mix it all up and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!