Virtuous Bread changes the world through bread
Virtuousbread.com is dedicated to changing the world through bread
Founded by Jane Mason in 2010, Virtuousbread.com makes it fun and easy for people around the world to buy, make, learn about, share, and eat good bread and in so doing, creates the link between eating good bread and doing good things.
“Bread is the staff of life." “Know where your bread is buttered.” “Don’t take bread out of someone else’s mouth.”“Don’t quarrel with your bread and butter."
We instinctively recognise bread as a representation of life's basic necessities. It is a perfect catalyst for social change.
Eating well makes it easier for us to do good.
It is simple
1. We provide information about good bread: what it is all about, where to get it, and how to make it.
2. We use bread as a catalyst for social change: we teach bread making courses, help people set up home and community baking businesses, bake with groups as different as socially excluded children, prisoners, the elderly and executives, travel around the country with The Travelling Bread oven to make good bread available all over the world.
On Virtuousbread.com you will find the following main sections:
1. A blog. The blog records our comings and goings, learnings and experiences both bread and non bread related. In the blog, we write about our bread adventures around the world, share international bread recipes, communicate celebrity bread stories, and sometimes just describe how it feels to be a start up social enterprise doing something as mad as using bread as a catalyst for social change.
2. The list of bread making courses in London, and other places in the UK. We always have basic bread courses, in which you learn to use yeast and make soda bread, and sourdough bread courses, in which you learn to bake bread and crackers with a natural yeast culture (otherwise known as sourdough bread or wild yeast bread). We also have an ever changing schedule of seasonal bread courses in which you can learn to bake Ciabatta and Focaccia , learn to bake cinnamon buns and stollen in preparation for the holidays, and learn to bake dinner party bread that is simple, elegant, and guaranteed to impress your friends and family.
and bread courses to help you make bread that contains, as well as, recipes, techniques and videos for the home baker, information about the commercial activities of Virtuousbread.com - all of which involve encouraging and enabling people to build relationships by making and sharing good bread.
3. A section that informs you about our charitable activities - how we do good and give back to society.
4. The Virtuous Network - a source to help you find good bread and bread related products and services wherever you are in the world.
5. The Blog which contains bite sized stories and ideas about bread and bread related matters, the experience of setting up and running a social enterprise, and the many virtues that are around us in our every day lives.
Virtuousbread.com: the charitable activities
Virtuousbread.com: helping us grow
We hope Virtuousbread.com inspires you to try different kinds of bread either by buying or by learning how to making it at home. We hope you help us to deepen our collective knowledge of bread and so please participate in our polls. We hope you enjoy reading our issues, interact with the blog and send links to your friends and family to help spread the word. Finally, we hope you would like to enage with Virtuousbread.com either as client or as a sponsor. If you like what we are doing to help change the world for the better and would like to support us, either through sponsorship or by advertising on the site please contact us.
We have just been awarded a £5 000.oo grant from Unltd., a company that has been operating for the past ten years and that is dedicated to helping social entrepreneurs with both practical and financial support to build profitable companies with a big social conscience. We would like to thank them for many things but most of all because they believe in us enough to give us a grant. What about you?
Virtuousbread.com. Eat well. Do good.